Skip to main

Chaplaincy in the justice system

Health chaplaincy photo shoot

Justice chaplains might minister to a prisoner who has lost all hope, a prison warden who is supporting his wife through cancer, or the police officer who experienced a traumatic incident.

Their ministry involves listening, building trust, faithful prayer and the wisdom of knowing when to share about Jesus Christ.

Vic

I have been at M.R.R.C for over two years now. I am a regular chapel goer and the booklets and brochures that are available to us inmates have helped me a lot through this difficult time in custody. 

I now do the Daily Bread devotional every day. The booklets have helped me become a better person for my family. Words cannot express how appreciative I am. Even my wife now does the Daily Bread devotional at home with our eight-year-old son because she has seen how beneficial it has been for me.

Bryce

I have been in custody for around three and a half years on remand. I have done some very hard times and been placed in many hard situations.

I have found inspiration in the most unlikely of places and have been guided by what may look like coincidence to others, but what I have recognised as Jesus.

The booklets, books, and courses provided by the chaplain have helped me more than I can explain.

I have now been blessed to have led others to Jesus since becoming a prisoner. In this environment, it is the shining light of Jesus in this dark place that keeps so many in hope and peace.

Anglicare acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the original and ongoing custodians of the lands and waters on which we live and work.

Inspired by the gospel of reconciliation in Jesus Christ, Anglicare's vision for reconciliation is a nation in which Australia's First Peoples are restored in dignity, respect, empowerment and opportunity.