Getting older can be a hard process to accept. There may come a point where your parents are no longer able to look after themselves and their home like they used to. We understand it can be challenging trying to live your own life while helping your parents every day too. You may have noticed concerning changes in their behaviour, including:
- Inability to perform daily tasks: If they can't cook, are missing medical appointments or are unable to maintain their appearance and hygiene, it may be time to consider other options.
- Memory problems: Not as basic losing a set of keys, but more serious issues such as being unable to remember a home address or forgetting to take medication
- Accidents: Falls can be serious in old age and are a sign your loved one may need mobility equipment (which they can access through a package), or may need to work on their balance and nutrition intake
Over 216,000 Australians sought aged care help in 2016 according to the Institute of Health and Welfare, showing the number of people receiving support. Home care services are particularly appealing, as they allow your parents to retain their independence while affording you the peace of mind knowing they are being looked after by aged care experts. Sound ideal? Read on to see how you can access home care services for your parents.
Home care services make it possible for your parents to stay independent and happy in their own home.
What do I need to do to get home care for my parents?
Finding home care services for your parents is easy if you follow these simple steps:
- The most obvious place to start is to discuss the change with them. It is completely natural for them to resist the idea at first - people are often too proud to admit they need help. Be honest about your feelings and show them the benefits of home care services, explaining how it will help everyone involved.
- Once everyone is on board with the idea, you need to start researching the services available to you.
- Next, look at ways to access home care services. If you want your parents to access a government-funded programme, you will need to apply as soon as possible, as waiting lists are often months-long. They will also need to undergo an Aged Care Assessment to determine the level of support and urgency of their need for home care services.
- Once you are set on your path, you can start applying for different home care services. Ask plenty of questions and keep your parents in the loop about what will happen next.
Once your parents have cleared their assessment, they will get a referral code in the mail. This means you are now ready to choose your provider. It's as easy as that!
Anglicare offers numerous services so living at home is more comfortable.
Why choose Anglicare?
We are a Christian, not-for-profit organisation with a simple but defined set of values - we believe everyone is inherently valuable and deserves access to the best care and support in old age. We provide a flexible approach to home care services, ensuring your parents get the support they need when they need it. We take pride in being able to support their independence and happiness, backed by 75 years of experience in helping people with a variety of services.
For more information on home care services and what we can offer