We began because of people like you. People who saw a need in the community and who were compelled to make a difference. People motivated by Christian love and a passion to serve.
For over 160 years Anglicare has been serving those in need - providing care to older people and services to the vulnerable. Today we employ 4,000 staff and are blessed to serve alongside 2,000 volunteers.
We are proud to be sharing the love of Jesus, enriching lives and strengthening communities across the Sydney Region, Blue Mountains, Illawarra and Southern Highlands, Northern Inland and Norfolk Island.
Anglicare was first established in 1856 as The Church Society, originally to fund clergy and build new churches. Over time, its role expanded to provide Christian care to people in need. From 1911 to 1997 it was known as the Home Mission Society.
In 1920, the organisation began working with young people who came before the Children's Court. In the 1930s, it expanded its welfare work to include both Sydney and Wollongong. In 1943 the first parish nurse, Sister Mildred Symons, was appointment to care for older people in inner Sydney. In 1945, the organisation established a Family Service Centre dealing with a variety of needs from financial issues to marriage and family problems. In 1952 the first ‘Chesalon’ Home was established in Summer Hill.
From 1960 onwards, a number of key programs commenced. Including adoption and foster care services, shops, disability services, migrant and refugee services and the expansion of community care services through a network of regional and local offices. Working more closely in partnership with local churches in the Sydney Anglican Diocese became a significant focus.
Anglican Retirement Villages first began when Dorothy Mowll, wife of Archbishop Howard Mowll, had a vision to provide a home for retired clergy and church workers. Following her initiative Anglican Retirement Villages opened its first village at Castle Hill in 1959. This work expanded to include residential aged care and home care services.
On 1 July 2016, Anglicare Sydney and Anglican Retirement Villages officially merged and the organisation you know today was born.
With more than 200 years of combined service to the community, Anglicare Sydney offers tremendous capacity to serve communities across greater Sydney and beyond. As needs have grown and changed, so too have our services.
However, one thing remains the same. We continue to uphold the original values held by the organisations which came before us: reflecting God's love through care and sharing the good news of Jesus.